Fees and Government Subsidies



Some of the costs of child care are subsidised by the Federal Government. The three main types of subsidy are listed below:

Child Care Benefit (CCB) 

  • can be paid as a lump sum at the end of the financial year or directly to the registered or approved child care provider as reduced fees throughout the year.
  • covers up to 24 hours of care per child per week; or up to 50 hours if the parent(s) are studying, working or looking for work.
  • payments are based on your family's annual income. To receive the maximum rate of CCB your combined family income must be less than $40,000 a year.
  • CCB rates reduce on a sliding scale depending on income and the number of children in care.
  • the CCB payment phases out completely depending on your income levels and on the number of children a family has in approved care.
  • if you are eligible for CCB but receive no payment due to a high income you may still receive CCR.

For more information the Department of Human Services has more information.

Grandparent Child Care Benefit (GCCB)

  • offers financial assistance for grandparents who have the primary responsibility for raising a grandchild.
  • covers the full cost of fees for children in approved child care.
  • can be claimed for up to 50 hours of care per child per week. There is no requirement for the grandparents to be working, training or studying.

The Department of Human Services website has more detailed information on Grandparent Child Care Benefits.

Child Care Rebate (CCR)

  • covers 50 per cent of your out-of-pocket expenses (total child care fees minus CCB) for approved child care up to a maximum of $7500.00 per child per year.
  • is not means tested.

The Department of Human Services website has more detailed information on Child Care Rebate.


The CentreLink Child Care Estimator can help you determine your CCB and CCR eligibility, and how much assistance to which you are entitled.

For more information about the benefits visit the Department of Human Services website or call on 13 6150.